Tuesday, July 17, 2012

My weekend

Hey there,
I just wanted to report how my weekend was.
As you all know, I've been to Camden at Saturday. After I spent my day there, I had a couple of drinks at a lovely English pub near Oxford street with a friend of my University.
At Sunday I went to Covent Garden in the morning, where I saw a couple of street artist perform. After an hour of wandering through Covent Garden, I started walking towards Trafalgar Square. 
On my way there, I passed the London Film Museum. I saw that the entrance was free so I decided to have a look (I really really love film!).


There were two exhibitions in the museum: Capturing the Shadows & Magnum on Set.
I absolutely loved them both.




The first one, Capturng the Shadows, was about the history of film: the beginning. A couple of years ago I made an essay about the beginning of film with a friend of mine, so I already knew pretty much but it was extremely interesting. I also loved seeing all these old cameras.



The second one, Magnum on Set, was about movies from the early 1900s till the 1970s. They showed photos en films of great movies from these times. They also had really cool items of these old movies, like an original scarf of Charlie Chaplin, keys to Marilyn Monroes dressing room, John Waynes hat, an original script of 'Some like it hot' and pillboxes and jewelry of Marilyn Monroe.


You should all check it out!


After I went to the exhibition I went to embankment to get some food and I ate it in a park near embankment. After my break I walked over the Milleniumbridge and walked to a bookmarket at Southbank. I bought a book to learn Spanish, a book with all kinds of poetry from the early 1900s and a book about moviestars from old movies (similar to the exhibition Magnum on Set). I will show pictures of the books later :)


After that I saw a couple of more street artists and I sat in the grass near to the London Eye, reading the poetry book I just bought.


In the evening I met up with two friends from Holland who arrived in London that day. We went to a really nice pub at Camden and spent the evening there. 


Today I've been shopping at Oxford Street with the same friends and after having dinner with them, I went home to do my homework for my classes tomorrow (I will have a class called 'Music Theory and Practice' and 'Portfolio Workshop). After that I will meet up with my mum, who will be in London the next couple of days because my 18th birthday is Wednesday (tomorrow will be my last day as a child haha!).


So, I think that was a good enough description of my weekend :)


Lastly, I would like to post a poem from the poetry book I bought that I really like. Here it is:


Pre-existence


I laid me down upon the shore
And dreamed a little space;
I heard the great waves break and roar;
The sun was on my face.


My idle hands and fingers brown
Played with the pebbles grey;
The waves came up, the waves went down,
Most thundering and gay.


The pebbles, they were smooth and rond
And warm upon my hands,
Like little people I had found
Sitting among the sands.


The grains of sands so shining-small
Soft through my fingers ran;
The sun shone down upon it all,
And so my dream began:


How all of this had been before;
How ages far away
I lay on some forgotten shore
As here I lie to-day.


The waves came shining up the sands,
As here to-day they shine;
And in my pre-pelasgian hands
The sand was warm and fine.


I have forgotten whence I came,
Or what my home might be,
Or by what strange and savage name
I called that thundering sea.


I only know the sun shone down
As still it shines to-day,
And in my fingers long and brown,
The little pebbles lay.


                                       - Frances Cornford


Sweet dreamssssssss x

No comments:

Post a Comment